Sunday, December 30, 2007

Penang – food haven

The first day, as usual, after reaching Penang island, we went to Delima Selera at Island Glades for its ‘char kuey tiao’. Not bad. But not as good as I remembered. We also tried its asam laksa, which was surprisingly very nice. The ‘chee chiong fun’ was also not bad. Penang style chee cheong fun has lots of prawn paste (hae goh), making it an instant hit with me. Hehe.. but its not very healthy, so don’t eat that so much.

We checked in and rested a while before picking up my granma and setting off to visit my aunt in town. We ate near her house at a food court called Cameron. I liked the char quey tiao there. Nice! We also tried otak otak, chun piah (which is fried popiah).
Our hotel

Later at night, we went to our all-time favourite – Song River, for supper. As you can see, I’ve been eating all day long. To go to Song River, just walk from Gurney Hotel to Evergreen Laurel to the food shops ahead. Since we were staying at Evergreen Laurel, we walked there every night. We have been doing that for the past two years. Haha.. The first night, we ate its fried oyster, and lobak.
char kuey tiaw stall at song river
lobak and prawn fritters

Second day, breakfast was at Jelutung market. I really like the market, it’s more like a super big pasar malam in the morning, with lots of cheap stuff for sale including stuff like clothes, food, wallets, belts, raw food etc. I tried the emporer’s mee while my mom ate the hokkian mee aka prawn mee. According to her, it’s one of the nicest. To define hokkian mee as nice, the soup must be tasty and sweet while not being oily. I liked my emporer’s mee too, it’s nice, plus theres chicken and some fried potatoes, all that for rm2.50. After shopping for a while there, we were supposed to go to queensbay after that, we took a wrong turn and ended up on the penang bridge. Oops! So we had to go one big circle and take the ferry back to penang island.

Since we were already in town, we went to swatau foodcourt for lunch. It’s just ok. Don’t go there. After lunch, we went to gurney plaza for a quick walk before heading back to the hotel to rest. Dinner was at a foodcourt near the botanical gardens called Goodall. It was unexpectedly nice! We have never been there, but the hokkian char was very nice. Moreover, they had beef kuey tiaw soup, which is quite hard to find.

Supper was at Song River, of course. Since we were quite full, we only ate char kuey tiaw without egg each, shared its hok kian char while I and my brother ate one chicken wing each. The kuey tiaw is the best in penang, at least that’s what I think. However, the hokkian char is not very nice. Goodall has nicer ones.

Third day morning we ate at the food court beside delima selera. It’s new to us. Surprisingly, the loh mee and hokkian mee there is super nice! And very authentic too! And cheap! Rm2.30 per bowl. After that, we finally made it to queensbay, where I met Kelvin! Haha..

Lunch was a treat by my aunt. They brought us to eat nasi kandar at Kassim Mustafa, the best in town, according to them. It was really nice! We went to see my granma since it was the last day we had there. Lastly, we went to Lorong Selamat for its famous ice kacang and kuey tiaw thing. I really like the ice kacang, especially its ice cream, which tastes of vanilla peanut butter. Plus, there are lots of raisins and other ingredients.
nasi kandar at kassim mustafa
ice kacang stall at Lorong Selamat
ice kacang - with sarsi, syrup, ice cream, kacang, white transparent kacang, etc.. haha..

Bloated, we had a late dinner at Song River, eating for the last time our char kuey tiaw without egg (I think without egg makes it smoother), fried chicken wings, fried oyster, and fried popiah. We even met a very cute little boy selling cakes who sounded like a ‘dua tauke’, until the mother scolded him for playing with the food.

fried oyster at song river
famous chicken wings of song river
my favourite char kuey tiaw - best ever! not really la, the best i've eaten was by some friend of my granma last time, but she has since shifted to somewhere unknown.

All in all, food that I won’t miss if ever I’m in penang is Song River’s char kuey tiaw without egg and Lorong Selamat’s ice kacang!=]

1 comment:

huiyen said...

everything loOks so yummy.haih.made me miss home even more..hehe