Monday, August 27, 2007

a nice song long buried in my memory..

i remember that i used to play this song. long time ago. haha.. then yesterday i unexpectedly heard it on light & easy. so ... i went to find out a bit more bout it.

The story of Memory began with the idea for Cats, back in 1977, the year that Andrew Lloyd Webber picked up a copy of T.S Eliot's book of poems -- poems that his mother had read to him as a child. Lloyd Webber's usual way of working was first to create a melody and then add lyrics. But, curious if he could work the process the other way around, he composed melodies for the words of these Eliot poems that he loved and turn them into song.

Two weeks before the opening, Lloyd Webber was concerned that the new show lacked a big hit song. So for this one song, Lloyd Webber went back to his normal habit and wrote the melody first, before a lyric was created, and the song Memory, sung by Grizabella the Glamour Cat, came to life -- just barely in time for opening night. Cats most definitely had its hit song!

i've never seen it, but i heard that it is good. anyway, here is the song..

Midnight, not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory, she is smiling alone
In the lamplight the withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan
/ C - Am - / F - Em - / Dm7 - Am7 - / G7 - C /

Memory, all alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days,
I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

Every street lamp seems to beat
A fatalistic warning
Someone mutters and a street lamp gutters
And soon it will be morning
/ Em EmDm Em EmDm / Em CD G - / Em A7 Dmaj7 G / Em A7 D /

Daylight, I must wait for the sunrise
I must think of a new life and I mustn't give in
When the dawn comes, tonight will be a memory, too
And a new day will begin

Burnt out ends of smoky days
The stale cold smell of morning
A street lamp dies, another night is over
Another day is dawning

Touch me, it's so easy to leave me
All alone with the memory of my days in the sun
If you touch me, you'll understand what happiness is
Look a new day has begun


Memory - happy listening~ =]

No comments: